Writing Activities: Year 6
Bats are the world’s only true flying mammal (and they are very good at it). They have moveable joints and a flexible skin membrane, which means they are can change direction very quickly mid-flight. They are nocturnal creatures, meaning they are active at night.
In this clip, we will learn about how bats use echolocation to ensure they do not fly into walls.
People often think bats are creepy or scary because of their appearance and associations with night.
Imagine you are a bat expert. Write an article to be published in your local newspaper, explaining why people should not fear bats, and why they are in fact fascinating creatures.
Your article should include the following details:
- An attention-grabbing headline
- An introduction to the issue and your point of view
- Details explaining your point of view
- Quotes from interviews with other bat experts
- A photograph with a caption explaining what the photo shows
Wider Curriculum Idea
Read these facts about bats from kids.kiddle.co – use your new found scientific knowledge to edit your article so that it includes more factual information about bats.